Monday, April 18, 2011

“The Bar” Has Been Lowered

I was in my favorite local market a few weeks ago, and I have to say that with all of my Customer Service complaints, this one is rarely an offender.  But on this particular day, I got into a line with a fairly young female checker who was definitely not focused on her job.

I had only 4 items --- a Cliff bar, a jug of milk, an onion, and a box of muffins, and as she started to ring them up, I said, “I’ll take the candy bar.”

Since it is customary in many stores for clerks to hand over a small item that looks like something I am about to eat, I did not think there was anything confusing about my request.

But I could tell by the way she was not looking at me that she was also not hearing me, so I repeated it.  After the second time, just to check, I said,” Did you hear me?”

“Oh, yes,” she answered, but she then bagged all 4 items without handing me the Clfif bar.

I couldn’t let it go.  “I thought you said you heard me, when I told you I would take the candy bar.”

Busted, she looked at me indignantly and said that she didn’t know what I meant.  (Then why didn’t she ask me to clarify it?)  As she handed me the Cliff bar, she felt it necessary to scold me by telling me that a “Cliff bar” is not a “candy bar.”

All I can say is --- so which of the other items did she think looked more like a candy bar – the carton of milk, the box of muffins, or the onion?  Be serious!

Or, as my friend George explained, “Many of these young people are busy sending a text in their head.”  Touche, George!

©  Elena E. Smith, 2011

2 comments:

  1. I rather enjoy drawing conclusions, standing behind someone in the checkout line. So, what would I make of a Cliff bar, a jug of milk, a tray of muffins, and an onion, ...

    I have some good combos, particularly when I'm also buying meds for my dog. So it might be bananas, pasta, tinned clams, anchovies, and pepto-bismal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That clerk must be of the Peter Pan, aka Gen Y, or the Boomerang Generation. Per Wiki, they are those with a "perceived penchant for delaying some rites of passage into adulthood, longer periods than most generations before them."

    ReplyDelete